Certificate in Municipal Management & Leadership Program
Next Offering starts
September 24-25, 2013
The Certificate in Municipal Management and Leadership (CMML) develops municipal leaders by increasing their capacity to lead people, teams, departments and organizations. As a participant of this program, you will gain a deep understanding of yourself as a leader. You will learn to shift your focus from day-to-day tasks to strategically achieving the organization’s business goals while managing change and stakeholder expectations through effective leadership. Throughout the program’s duration, you will form long-lasting networks with like-minded managers from across the province, which will prove themselves valuable as your learning continues in your future day-to-day.
Upon successful completion of the CMML certificate program, graduates may be eligible to receive three (3) credits for an elective course towards the University of Alberta’s Masters of Business Administration (MBA) program. Please contact the MBA office at 780-492-4213 for more information www.mba.net.
Is This Program for You?
- You are a mid-level manager (or above) who leads one or more teams, groups or departments.
- You are interested in further developing effective management and leadership skills in a municipal setting.
- You face competing priorities and want to learn how to make more informed decisions that benefit all stakeholders.
- Explore leadership challenges in municipal government and apply leadership theory to actual case scenarios.
- Explore the ethical behaviours municipal managers should demonstrate to maintain the trust and confidence of the public.
- Analyze leadership style preferences against requirements of the role.
- Assess leadership communication strengths and opportunities.
- Explore how to manage change and deliver results in an increasingly challenging manner.
- Examine the role of the municipal manager in aligning business and IT strategies.
- Through the use of a variety of tools and models, learn to understand behaviour patterns in others, explore the impact of communication and Emotional Intelligence on others, and use instruments to effectively coach constituents.
Participants must complete all six courses to qualify for a certificate.
Module 1: The Challenge of Leading & Managing in Municipalities
Explore the leadership challenges associated with municipal governments and the ethical behaviours municipal managers should demonstrate to maintain the trust and confidence of the public.
Module 2: Leading Self & Others
Understanding who we are and how we behave is critical in becoming an effective leader. It opens us to growth opportunities building on our strengths and also helps to pinpoint challenges and blind spots where we can mitigate weaknesses.
Module 3: Leading & Managing Change
The municipal environment, like all other complex organizational settings, is confronted daily by the need to manage change and deliver results in an increasingly challenging manner. Engaging with, and balancing the needs of, the community, Council and internal stakeholders in this context is essential for change efforts to be effective.
Module 4 Part 1: Information & Technology Management
Information technology is reshaping industry structure and competition, challenging today’s business leaders to align IT strategies and operational needs.
Module 4 Part 2: Creating a Collaborative, Knowledge-Sharing Culture
Ensuring that the expertise held by municipal managers is fully utilized by all parts of the organization and transferred to the next generation of senior leaders is critical to the long term sustainability of any municipal corporation.
Module 5: Finance for Municipal Managers
Municipal managers, regardless of their financial backgrounds, are required to understand the language of finance to make effective decisions. Understanding key financial data is critical to making informed fiscal decisions.
Module 6: Committing to Improving Your Leadership Abilities
Leadership development is an ongoing personal and situational challenge, requiring on-going attention and commitment.
Time: 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
University of Alberta, Enterprise Square
10230 Jasper Avenue
Edmonton, AB T5J 4P6
Fee: $6,110 CAD (plus GST)
Fees include all program materials, breakfast, lunch and refreshments.
For more information, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page or contact Kassey Koumarelas, Program Advisor at 780-492-4095 or email@example.com.
Click here to register if you are NOT a Government of Alberta employee.
Click here to register if you are a Government of Alberta employee.