My industry experience includes 6 years of IT project management, as follows:
- Operations Manager, 1995-1997, Jacada Inc. (formerly Client-Server Technology), Hertzelia, Israel, an International Software House, traded in NASDAQ.
- Logistics Manager, 1994-1995, Oramir Semiconductor Equipment Ltd., Haifa, Israel, a designer and manufacturer of equipment for the semiconductor industry.
- Consultant, 1991-1994, Dalmor Consulting Ltd., Haifa, Israel, a consulting firm, which specializes in the management and control of large projects in the high-tech industry
As an academic, I work to maintain relationships with industry. I believe that the link between practice is essential, as (a) practice provides the context for the research work, and as an applied area MIS research should focus on solving real business problems, and (b) as researchers we carry a social responsibility, and should attempt to utilize the findings from research to impact the lives of people activities such as:
- Conducting field studies in corporate settings (e.g. IBM)
- Seminars to practitioners who are looking to adopt social computing applications (e.g. The Government of Alberta)
- Helping guide firms that use social computing as their core business (e.g. serving on the advisory board of ProCompare)
- Collaboratively developing social computing applications (a joint project with the City of Edmonton to develop an online maps on Edmonton trails, based on citizen-generated content (http://www.wiseristhepath.org)