I completed my BA in 1960 at the University of Leeds in England. My fields of interest include institutional theory, organization design and organizational change in professional service firms, healthcare and the Canadian wine industry.
“An organizational model for understanding internationalization processes”. Malhotra, N. and C.R. Hinings. Journal of International Business Studies 41 (2010): 330-349.
“Managing the rivalry of competing institutional logics”. Reay, T. and C.R. Hinings. Organization Studies 30 (2009): 629-652.
“Change in institutional fields”. C.R. Hinings and N. Malhotra. In A. Ebner and N. Beck (eds.), Institutions of the Market. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2008.
“Institutional theory and sociology: a reflection”. C.R. Hinings and P. Tolbert. In R. Greenwood, C. Oliver, R. Suddaby and K. Sehlin-Andersson (eds.), Handbook of Organizational Institutionalism. London: Sage Publications, 2008.
“Inter-level influences on the reconstruction of professional role identity.” Chreim. S., B.E. Williams & C.R. Hinings. Academy of Management Journal 50 (2007): 1515-1539.
“Radical organizational change”. R. Greenwood and C.R. Hinings. In S. Clegg, Hardy, C., Nord, W.W., and Lawrence, T. (eds.). Handbook of Organization Studies. London: Sage Publications, 2006.
“Integration and differentiation in institutional values: an empirical investigation in the field of Canadian National Sport Organizations.” Danisman, A, C.R. Hinings & T. Slack. Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences 23 (4) (2006): 301-317 (VERITY AWARD WINNER)
“The recomposition of an organizational field: health care in Alberta.” Reay, T and Hinings, C.R. Organization Studies 26(3) (2005): 351-384.
“The pace, sequence and linearity of radical change.” Amis, J., Slack, T. and Hinings, C.R. Academy of Management Journal 47 (2004) 15-40.
Recent Publications and Presentations
- (forthcoming) Greenwood, R; Hinings, C R, and Cooper, D J. An Institutional Theory of Change: Contextual and Interpretive Dynamics in the Accounting Industry. In: Powell, W W and Jones, D, Editors. Bending the Bars of the Iron Cage: Institutional Dynamics and Processes. University of Chicago Press.
- (Accepted for publication) Greenwood, R; Suddaby, R, and Hinings, C R. The Role of Professional Associations in the Transformation of Institutionalized Fields. Academy of Management Journal.
- (Forthcoming) Hinings, C R; Greenwood, R; Cooper, D J, and Brown, J L. Marketing Professional Services. Business Quarterly.
- (Under review) Golden-Biddle, K; Reay, T; Wiebe, E, and Hinings, C R. The Social Construction of Clock Time: Dealing with Imposed Deadlines for Implementing Organizational Change. Academy of Management Journal.
- (2000) Cooper, D J; Rose, T; Greenwood, R, and Hinings, C R. History and Contingency in International Accounting Firms. In: Aharoni, Y and Nachum, L, Editors. Globalization of Services. London: Routledge.
- (1999) Brock, D; Powell, M, and Hinings, C R. Restructuring the Professional Organization: Accounting, Health Care and Law. London: Routledge.
- (1999) Hinings, C R; Greenwood, R, and Cooper, D J. Dynamics of Change in Large Accounting Firms. In: Brock, D; Powell, M, and Hinings, C R, Editors. Restructuring the Professional Organization: Accounting, Health Care and Law. London: Routledge.
- (1998) Greenwood, R; Rose, T; Brown, J L; Cooper, D J, and Hinings, C R. The Global Management of Professional Services: The Example of Accounting. In: Clegg, S; Ibarra, E, and Bueno, L, Editors. Global Management: Universal Theories and Local Realities. Sage Publications.
- (1998) Hinings, C R and Kondra, A. Organizational Diversity in Institutional Theory: Sources for Change. Organization Studies. 19:743-767.
Favorite Research Related Journals/Academic Titles
In 1993 I won the Best Paper Award (with C. Anderson), OT Division, Administrative Sciences Association of Canada.
Awards and Service
Member, College of Reviewers for the Canada Research Chairs Program, 2010
CLAHRC Fellow, Judge Business School, University of Cambridge. (CLAHRC stands for Collaborative Leadership in Applied Health Research and Care). (2009-)
Member, Fonds de Quebec/CFI panel, 2009.
Visiting Professor, School of Business, University of Leeds (2008 – 2011)
Chair, Committee 21, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (2007-2008, 2009-2010)
Verity International Award for Overall Outstanding Paper in Management: Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences, 2006. (for, “Integration and differentiation in institutional values: an empirical investigation in the field of Canadian National Sport Organizations.” Danisman, A, C.R. Hinings & T. Slack. Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences 23 (4) (2006): 301-31
Board Member, SEARCH Canada, (2006-2009)
Deloitte and Touche Distinguished Visitor, Judge Institute of Management, University of Cambridge, UK (2005)
Chair, Canadian Health Services Research Foundation Chair Review Panel (2004)
Honorary Member, European Group for Organization Studies (2003)
JMI Scholar, Western Academy of Management (2003)
Fellow, Royal Society of Canada (2000-)
Fellow, Academy of Management, USA (2000-)
Kaplan Research Award, University of Alberta (2000)
Distinguished Speaker, Organization Theory Division, Administrative Sciences Association of Canada (1999)
Distinguished Scholar Award, Organization and Management Theory Division, Academy of Management, U.S.A. (1999)